ATT00001CAWLT59HBilling, Payments and Rates

 Water Quality
Billing, Payments and Rates
Why is my water bill higher than usual?
It is possible that you may have used the water, have a leak, or the meter was misread.
How can I arrange to pay my water or sewer bill through an automatic deduction from my bank account?
Call our Customer Service staff and you will be mailed a form to fill out.  Return the completed form to us with a voided check or deposit slip displaying your bank account information.  Typically, it takes 3-4 weeks to initially set up an account for automatic payment withdrawal.
I understand that I can pay my water bill with a VISA or Master Card.  How do I do that?
You can pay your utility bill online or by phone at any time of day through Paymentus Corporation, a third party automated payment service that accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and e-check.  Paymentus will charge you a $3.95 service fee for each transaction up to $350.  More information and a link to Paymentus can be found on our Payments Page.
I may be eligible for your Low-income Discount Water/Sewer rates.  How do I apply for this program?
Call our Customer Service staff and request an application form.  To qualify, customers must have household incomes below the defined maximum levels by household size.The maximum income levels needed to qualify are listed on the application form, along with instructions for completing the application process. 
Can I look up my water and/or sewer bill information through the District web page or pay my bimonthly bill through the Internet?
The District’s present billing system doesn’t offer Internet access to customer account information.  Because of convenience that this could mean for customers, the District hopes to acquire a system with this capability when  the billing software is replaced, sometime within the next several years.
How does the Board of Commissioners determine when rate increases are needed?  How can customers provide feedback or comments regarding proposed increases?
The District prepares an annual Operating Budget based on our proposed operation and maintenance expenses, scheduled capital projects, and anticipated water and sewer revenues for the year.  Rate increases are proposed when anticipated costs exceed revenues.  The proposed budget is presented to the District Commissioners in November and a Public Hearing is held at that time to obtain customer feedback.  The scheduled date, time, and location for the Public Hearing is published in local newspapers and all customers are encouraged to attend.  Traditionally, following the receipt of public comments and implementation of changes directed by the Board, the budget and water or sewer rates are set  for the following year.  The budgets and rates are formally adopted in December.

How do I know if I have a leak?
Be sure all the water inside and outside the house is shut off.  Locate your meter in front of your house, usually in the easement at the street.  There is a black box marked “Water;” remove the lid and look at the water meter dial.  Some meters have a flip-top lid that will need to be opened.  Look for a small blue triangle at the seven o’clock position.  If it is turning, you may have a leak.  Find the main water shut-off valve for your house, usually in the garage or laundry room, and turn the water supply off.  Check the meter again, if it is still moving, there is a leak in the line between the meter and the house.
I have a leak at my home.  What can I do?
You are responsible for locating and repairing the leak.  If the leak is in your water line between the meter and the house you may be eligible for a one-time adjustment on your bill.  If the leak is inside the home, you’re responsible for the entire water bill.  You may need to call a plumber to help you repair the leak.
Water Quality
My water tastes funny.  Why?
Is there a garden hose attached to your outside faucet?  If the water is turned ‘on’ but suspended from flowing by a hose nozzle, this may allow the water to back up into your house system and the strange taste may be coming from the garden hose at the outside faucet.  If the hose is not the problem, the District can send someone out to flush the water main and help you troubleshoot the problem.
My water smells strange.  Why?
This may be a result of high chlorine in the water.  The District can send someone out to help you troubleshoot the smell.  They will flush the main line if necessary.
Is the water fluoridated?
Yes.  There is one part of fluoride per million parts of water.
 Is my water hard or soft?
This water is soft, 1.40 grains per gallon.
Why is my water discolored?
There are many reasons for discoloration. One of the most common problems is the need to flush the hot water tank.
Sediment settles in the bottom of the tank and should be flushed out annually. This will help with discolored water that is generally noticed in the bath tub.  It will also improve the longevity of your hot water tank. So, if your hot water is discolored and the cold water is clear, this may be a simple solution to your problem. Flushing instructions are available at the District office.
 Another common cause of discoloration could be a dead-end main line serving your home. This would be noticed in the cold water.
The same sediment that ends up in your hot water tank also comes to rest in the bottom of the main line and, even more so, in dead ends. If you think this problem is occurring, contact the District office. We have ability to flush sediment from the dead ends.  All dead end lines will need this service on occasion.
Construction activity in your neighborhood may cause discoloration. This problem occurs from a broken water line or fire hydrant usage.
Anything that causes the water to flow at a higher velocity than normal can stir up the sediment which may result in discoloration.
After a main repair or shut down, the field crew takes great efforts to flush the sediment from the line to insure clear water at your tap.
Its important to realize that even though your water is discolored,  it is still safe to drink.